Immune Boosting Chicken Soup
Garlic, turmeric and ginger are potent detoxifying and antiviral herbs to help the body get rid of toxins, stimulate circulation, reduce inflammation, aid digestion and boost your immune system. Coriander also has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that can help fight disease. Adding a little protein such as chicken will supply your body with essential amino acids your body needs to heal and nourish.
- 10 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp grated tumeric
- 1 l chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 l water
- 500 gr organic/free range chicken breast cut into cubes
- 2 cups coriander chopped
- 1/4 cup mirin or rice wine optional
- 3 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 cups green vegetables such as pak choi or broccoli
- Combine the garlic, turmeric, ginger, stock, water and chicken into a large pot.
- Bring it to high temperature before it boils
- Simmer for 10 minutes over a low heat until chicken is cooked through and flavours have infused into the stock.
- Add vegetables and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add mirin, tamari and coriander just before serving. Enjoy!
Vegetarians can use vegetable stock in place of chicken stock and use organic silken tofu in place of the chicken to boost protein. Fresh tumeric is available from your local grocer. If using dry then only use 1/4 teaspoon but fresh is best for it's anti-viral properties A little chili can be added for a little heat.
Other vegetables can be added if you like such as shiitake mushroom, spinach, kale. This soup only takes 15 minutes to make, which is why chicken breasts are used. However, you can make this soup using a whole chicken, using all of the stock and removing the tender meat from the chicken then stirring through the stock before serving. This will take approx 1 1/2 hours.